Work involves responsibility for routine circulation, shelf maintenance and circulation functions using automated circulation system. Duties include charging books in and out, shelving library materials, inputting data, and telephone answering. Job specific duties include adult programing, computer classes and assistance, and career services.
Job Specific Duties
· Assist patrons in career/business services and with employment needs including one-on-one assistance.
· Provide monthly Outreach services and programs to local nursing homes, senior center, etc. and restock Little Libraries along route.
· Organizes engaging and innovative weekly adult programs including: scheduling, creating flyers, advertising, setting up, maintaining program statistics, and cleaning up and reorganizing rooms after programs.
· Primary staff person to assist patrons with in-depth genealogy and reference questions.
· Plans and conducts computer classes for the public and county employees.
· Teaches career and technology workshops.
· Promotes adult and library programs by distributing and posting flyers and attending local events.
· Check in, track and withdraw periodicals.
· Performs routine repairs on books and other holdings.
· Backup ILL / NC Cardinal loan requests when needed.
· Works rotating daytime hours at the circulation desk.
· Works rotating evening and weekend hours.
· Charges books, magazines and other library holdings in and out at the circulation desk
· Performs the full range of circulation desk procedures using an automated circulation system.
· Collects fines using an automated circulation system.
· Replaces books, magazines and other library holdings on shelves according to Dewey Decimal system.
· Discharges incoming library materials using an automated circulation system and inspects them for damages.
· Operates a variety of standard office and library machines including copier, fax, scanner, printer, etc.
· Answers telephones and provides routine information or refers and transfers calls.
· Assists in assuring accurate library shelving by shelf-reading weekly and reshelving of materials, as needed.
· Assists patrons locating library materials.
· Assists patrons with basic computer questions, reference questions, NC Live, Overdrive and other resources.
· Perform routine opening and closing procedures including closing out cash register and securing building.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of library circulation procedures and practices.
· Good ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
· Good ability to pay attention to detail.
· Good ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates and the public.
A high school diploma or the equivalent and experience in using libraries or, an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have thorough knowledge of computer programs, online databases, MS Office suit, and career services. Efficiency in general office duties, proficient computer skills and program data entry is required.
Valid Driver’s Licenses – with a good driving record. Yearly-Continued Education Courses / Training / Workshops. Must be able to work rotating evening and weekend shifts.
Library employees are responsible for pushing and pulling fully load carts of books. The Library Assistant positions require loading and unloading bags weighing up to 50lbs in and out of the library van; pushing and pulling tables and equipment for library programs, setting up and cleaning up library programs. Regular reaching, stooping, and climbing to shelve and retrieve library materials and supplies. Employee must have visual acuity to be able to read and write handwritten and typed material. An employee in this class must be able to talk and hear in order to respond effectively to the public and other employees.
Date Position Available: July 1, 2022
Department: Caswell County Public Library
Posting Date: May 9, 2022
Closing Date: May 27, 2022 or until filled
Hiring Salary: $30,577
Caswell County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If interested and qualified please submit a Caswell County application (located on county website: caswellcountync.gov). Mail to Caswell County Human Resources, PO Box 98, Yanceyville, NC 27379